February: Read, Reading and To Be Read

Hi
I love being so free that I can listen to the Star Wars soundtracks and read for hours by the pool. I have been reading some GREAT books. They've made me cry, made me laugh out loud and made me scream and that's how you know you've read a good book.

Read
This month I read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I feel as if this book is a classic although it's  not old enough to be a classic. I can just see in one hundred years, this book will be regarded as a classic. It's told from media res with a first person point of view from Amir. We first get to hear about how someone's called him to come back to Kabul and he realises that it's time for him to go back to the place he once called home. Then we jump to the past and of his childhood in the 1970's. Amir grows up in a rich household with his father Baba and their servants Ali and his son Hassan. The book focuses specially on Amir's friendship with Hassan and the class differences between them, Amir's life in Kabul and his new life in the United States. It's a book about friendship, class status and family. The Kite Runner depict how the events of a little boy's childhood went to shape his entire life. The themes and events in the book are really personal and so moving that it's almost hard for me to critique any characters. I loved this book so much because I feel as if I got to have a look on the inside of living in a place like Kabul during this period of time, especially the history of the politics. I'm a history buff so this was very interesting for me. This book really moved me in so many ways, I couldn't put it down, I just had to keep reading. I would recommend this book to everyone.

Reading
Currently, I am reading How to Love by Katie Cotugno. I'm almost finished with it and I have enjoyed it so much! I haven't read a young adult love story like this for a while. Reena is eighteen years old, living in the small town she's lived her whole life with her three year old baby girl, Hannah, when the only boy she's ever loved, Sawyer, comes back to town. Not only is he the father of her daughter, but he also left her when she was pregnant and hasn't been back for three years. As you can assume, Reena is pissed off. She's spent three years building something that worked for her and going through a hard time and trying to gain back some stability in her life, all without him and now he's back. It definitely isn't a first love story but more a love story about messy love and that love that never goes away no matter what someone does. This book is told in two parts and alternates between each chapter. One is before Sawyer leaves and the other is after he comes back. I love Reena so much. Being able to see her before and after definitely shows that after giving birth, she's become more of a badass. She doesn't let anyone push her around anymore and she stands up for herself. However I admit, there are some times where I have wanted to kick her in the head because she's making some stupid decisions. I really hope that the ending does not ruin what could be a great read.

To Be Read
The inner nerd in me comes out as I reveal what is to be read and I'm almost embarrassed. The book that I am going to read is Star Wars: A New Hope the adaptation of the movie by Alexandra Bracken. I'll be honest, I borrowed this out from the library because I am a massive Star Wars fan. Intense to the point that I just couldn't put this down because it would've been betrayal. If you have no idea what Star Wars is then PLEASE let me introduce you to the beauty and wonder that is. A New Hope starts with farmer Luke, who lives on Tatooine with his uncle and aunt. One day after his uncle buys these droids (robots), he accidentally stumbles along a message on one left by an old master begging for help from a mysterious and unknown Obi-Wan Kenobi. This then leads Luke to track down so called Obi-Wan and help the girl. I am a little unsure of this book because I've heard of book to movie adaptations but never a movie to book adaptations. I'm a bit scared they'll ruin the whole franchise for me but on the other hand the book could give insight to things we didn't see in the movie. Of the couple pages that I read before I borrowed the book out, it was pretty decent and simple to read. I look forward to see where this goes!

Hope you've enjoyed seeing what I've been reading and that you're reading some killer books too!
Much Love
-E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July: Read, Reading and To Be Read

My 5 Minute Spring Make-Up Look

Malaysian Clothes Haul