January: Read, Reading and To Be Read

Hello!
This is actually the books I've read in December but I'm being cheeky and uploading it in January hehe. Hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas/New Year and that 2016 brings you all the best.

Read
The book I have read is Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. I've spoken about this in my book haul and well it is quite a good book. Picoult's writing is so intricate that it continues with such a rhythmic flow that it's impossible to not enjoy her writing. This book is about Delia, who lives a charmed life. She lives with her daughter, her father and is soon to be married to her fiance, Eric and alongside them, their best friend, Fitz. Soon she learns that the life she holds dear, is not the whole truth. Her father gets arrested for kidnapping Delia from her mother when she was younger. Delia comes to learn that she's not really Delia but is actually Bethany who's mother didn't die when she was four. This is not the typical book that I would usually read because it's story line is really complicated. This is because each chapter is someone else's point of view ranging from Delia, to Eric to her father. The one thing I didn't enjoy (this is not a spoiler, it's revealed pretty early in the book), was the awkward love triangle between Delia, Eric and Fitz. I thought it was just so stupid because they're all friends from when they were 12. Like I don't understand why Delia was such a big deal, get over her and move on Fitz. Maybe because I'm only seventeen, I expect that adults would not be caught in the same sort of love triangle cliche that people my age would be caught up in. I mean seriously, this exact (and I mean exact) situation just happened in my last year of high school, except in the book it turned out way better than it did for the girl at my school. I just found it really immature that Delia was making terrible decisions and Fitz was being a shitty friend. It was a good book but I don't know if I would recommend it because this quite frankly, fucked up romance.

Reading
I am currently reading Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, which I am actually getting through really quickly. Morgan Matson never fails to write a good novel about teenage life, falling in love and dealing with the external pressures of life. The title of the novel pretty much gives away the plot of the novel. Amy's father has just died and her mother has then decided to uproot the whole family to move across the USA. Amy's the last one in her family to go and so she has to drive all the way from California to Los Angeles. Since she doesn't want to drive alone, her mother gets their family friend Roger to come with her. And so the novel is all of the things that the two of them get up to on the way. This book is a really easy read, it's not hard to find their adventures interesting. At the same time, I was disappointed greatly by the romance aspect of it. For me it just felt kind of sprung out of nowhere. One minute she's trying to deal with her dad dying, the next she's decided she really likes this guy who she's only really known for about a week. So the romance was just sort of disappointing. I still have a little more of this book to go but despite the romance, I am still really enjoying this book because the writing in this has pulled me in and now I can't stop until I've finished.

To Be Read
You have no idea how excited I am to be reading this book, it is unreal. The book that is to be read, is Carry On by one of my favourites; Rainbow Rowell. I'm so excited about this book that I'm just ecstatic. I cannot wait. I love Rowell's humour, writing and romance so much that I am hyped up for this book. Quick recap; this book is a spin-off from Rowell's novel Fangirl (being the fanfiction the main character writes about) and is Harry Potter fanfiction basically. This is about the young wizard Simon Snow who is the chosen one of the World of Mages. He's in his last year at Watford's School of Magik (yes that is how you spell it) but the fact that the insidious humdrum could kill him at any moment is hanging over his head as well as the fact that him and his girlfriend Agatha are having issues. And would you believe it, his pale, rude and suspected vampire room mate Baz, hasn't come back. I am so excited to read this because quite frankly this sounds magical to the point where I can't describe it.

Much Love
- E

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July: Read, Reading and To Be Read

My 5 Minute Spring Make-Up Look

Malaysian Clothes Haul